Mr. Young is the founder of the Law Office of Young and Kuhl, LLC and has been practicing in the area of Family Law for thirty years.
In 2019, Mr. Young transitioned from his traditional domestic relations law practice to a full-time mediator. He specializes in family law issues (custody, parenting time, property division, etc.) no matter how large or small, in both Kansas and Missouri. To schedule a mediation with Jim, click here.
Mr. Young is an alumnus of the College of Business at the University of Missouri-Columbia, graduating Magna Cum Laude in Economics. He received his Juris Doctor degree from that same institution.
A dedicated family and divorce attorney in Kansas City, Mr. Young is also a member of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, as well as the former president of the Missouri Chapter of that national organization.
He is a member of the Missouri Bar Family Law Section and spent two terms (2001-2003) on its Executive Council and as Chair of the Section.
Mr. Young is also a member of the Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association, specifically the Family Law Section, and also served as the Chair of that Section in 1995.
He is active in a number of both multiple-county and state-wide committees, including those reviewing the child support chart and issues such as pro se litigation.
Besides serving in a variety of different roles on a number of different groups and committees, Mr. Young has written the text for a divorce video for the Missouri Bar and has been a frequent speaker at seminars, including a recent occasion during which he discussed child support methodology and joint physical custody situations.
In addition to handling complex property and custody cases as a family and divorce attorney, Mr. Young also serves as a mediator and as a Special Master for discovery and other financial issues.
- Recognized in the 29th edition of "The Best Lawyers in America" in Family Law, Family Law Arbitration, and Family Law Mediation, 2023
- 2020 & 2021 Missouri Lawyers Media POWER 31 Missouri Family Law Attorneys
- 2022 & 2024 Best Lawyers’ “Lawyer of the Year” in Family Law, Kansas City, Missouri
- 2020 Missouri Bar - Roger P. Krumm Family Law Award Recipient
- Best Lawyers’ “Lawyer of the Year” in Family Law Mediation, Kansas City, 2018, 2020 & 2024
- Named “Super Lawyer” 2007 – Present
- Named “Best Lawyers” 2008 – Present
- Member American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers