Born and raised in Omaha, Nebraska, Mr. Kuhl attended Ralston High School where he was active in many sports, clubs and organizations. After high school, he graduated Cum Laude from Creighton University with a degree in Business Administration. After working in the banking industry for a year, Mr. Kuhl moved to Kansas City and received his Juris Doctor degree from the University of Missouri – Kansas City in May 2008.
Prior to joining what is now the Law Office of Young & Kuhl, LLC as a family and divorce attorney in Kansas City, Mr. Kuhl worked as a law clerk for a Kansas City business litigation firm. He also worked as an intern and then as a law clerk for the Jackson County Circuit Court and was active in the University of Missouri – Kansas City School of Law’s Child and Family Services Clinic, where he represented clients in Family Law matters and received the clinic’s “Student of the Year” award in 2008.
While in law school, Mr. Kuhl participated in a number of clubs and organizations including serving as President of the Delta Theta Phi Legal Fraternity, Co-President of the Family Law Society, and as a staff member for the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers Law Journal.
Mr. Kuhl is a frequent presenter on a variety of family law issues, and is an active member of the Family and the Law Section of the Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association. Having served two terms as the chair of the Domestic Relations committee, Mr. Kuhl has been elected as the President of the Family and the Law Section and now serves on the Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association Board of Directors.
Additionally, Mr. Kuhl serves as an Adjunct Professor at the University of Missouri – Kansas City School of Law and volunteers his time with the Volunteer Attorney Project, is a member of the Association For Women Lawyers of Greater Kansas City, serves as an officer on the Eastern Jackson County Bar Association, and has also been on the Board of Directors for MARCH mediation.
Mr. Kuhl, like all members of the firm, has dedicated his practice to Family Law and represents people in dissolution of marriage (divorce) actions, modification of custody and child support actions, establishment of child support actions, adoption matters, paternity actions, and guardianship proceedings.
Having completed the Guardian ad Litem and advanced Guardian ad Litem trainings, Mr. Kuhl serves as a Guardian ad Litem in multiple counties, including Jackson, Cass and Clay. In addition, Mr. Kuhl serves as a mediator as well as a Special Master.
- Recognized in "The Best Lawyers in America" in Family Law and Family Law Mediation, 2023
- Best Lawyers’ “Lawyer of the Year” for Family Law, Kansas City, 2023
- Fellow, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
- Best Lawyers “Lawyer of the Year” for Family Law Mediation, Kansas City, 2021
- “Best Lawyers in America,” 2017-present
- Super Lawyers “Rising Star,” 2018-present
- UMKC School of Law “Decade Award,” 2018
- KCMBA Young Lawyer of the Year, 2017
- Missouri Lawyers Weekly Up & Coming, 2015
- Kansas City Business Journal “Best of the Bar,” 2014-2016
- UMKC Family Law Emphasis, 2008
- UMKC Child & Family Services Clinic “Student of the Year,” 2008