Modification Action Lawyers in Missouri

Do you have an existing custody or visitation plan in place? What about a parenting plan that outlines all responsibilities as co-parents? If you want to change your current custody, visitation, or parenting plan, The Law Office of Young, Kuhl & Frick, LLC can help. We’ve been helping families in and around the Greater Kansas City Area for decades, assisting with all family law matters, including modification actions.

Modification actions can be complicated, but the process of hiring a modification action lawyer in Missouri doesn’t need to be. Our family law attorneys will assist you every step of the way from filing a request to modify your current custody plan to mediation or trial. We’re dedicated and passionate family law lawyers who handle every case with compassion and a desire to help our clients.

Family Law Services

When to Modify Child Custody or a Parenting Plan

As life goes on, things change which is why many people decide to modify a current plan. Whether you want more time with your kids or want to change your visitation, below are some examples of when to modify a parenting plan:

  • A parent is relocating (whether it be to another state or across the state that makes sharing joint physical custody difficult)
  • One of the parents has a new spouse or partner that poses a risk to the child
  • The custodial parent can’t care for the child, which can be from an injury, loss of a job, etc.
  • A parent has a lifestyle change, like a new job that has overnight hours
  • The child’s needs change (changing schools, medical diagnosis, etc.)
  • Changes as requested by the child as they age

These are just a handful of instances when parents have modified a child custody or parenting plan. Each case is unique, and no two are the same. Therefore, it’s important to meet and discuss your case with a modification attorney in Kansas City, like The Law Office of Young, Kuhl & Frick, LLC, who can help determine if you need to modify your child custody or parenting plan.

The Modification Process at a Glance

Family Law Services

Filing of Motion

When a parent deems it necessary to modify an existing child custody or parenting plan, the first step is to file a motion to modify child custody with the court, along with a court fee and other required forms that vary based on the county in which it’s filed. The motion must be filed at the same court that the parenting plan or custody agreement was originally filed. Therefore, it’s best to hire a family law attorney to help with your modification action since it can be complicated, especially if you’ve moved counties or states since your initial filing.

Service of Process

Once the petitioner (the parent who legally starts the modification process) files the petition with the court, the respondent (the other parent) must be notified. Missouri allows papers to be served by Entry of Appearance and Waiver of Personal Service, personal service by the sheriff or private or special process server, or by publication.

Complete all Requirements

Depending on your unique modification action, the court may require that you take a parenting class or attend sobriety meetings to hold yourself accountable before an order is modified. For example, a parent who, in the past, was a recovering alcoholic has been sober for years and wishes to regain joint physical custody. The court may require that parent attend sobriety meetings and get a sponsor before the parenting plan is modified.


A great way to resolve issues without both parties having to be in a courtroom setting, mediation is a non-binding, confidential process that occurs with a neutral third party and both parents’ attorneys. Mediation can save the parties time and expenses compared to trials.


Every modification is unique - some complex cases may need to go to court and be settled by a judge. If the modification action must be settled in court, your attorney will work with you to gather and present evidence as it pertains to your case. 

Why Choose The Law Office of Young, Kuhl & Frick, LLC?

The Law Office of Young, Kuhl & Frick, LLC will help guide you through the entire legal process of your modification action every step of the way.  Why should you hire The Law Office of Young, Kuhl & Frick, LLC?

Decades of Experience

Family Law Services

Our family law attorneys have decades of combined experience - over 50 years! James H. Young, founder of The Law Office of Young, Kuhl & Frick, LLC, has been practicing family law for over 30 years and now serves as a full-time mediator. Our attorneys Abraham D. Kuhl, Jared T. Frick, and P. Chandler Frick have been serving families in the Kansas City area for many years and won multiple awards. Our very own Abraham D. Kuhl was recently named “Lawyer of the Year” for Family Law in Kansas City for 2023 by Best Lawyers.

Compassionate & Zealous Attorneys

There’s no question about it - the modification action process can be emotionally draining for both spouses and their families. Our team is compassionate and zealous, always putting our clients’ needs first and focusing on what’s best for them and their families. We’re always here to listen and lend a helping hand throughout the entire modification process from start to finish.

Know for Demonstrating Amiability in the Kansas City Legal Community

When you hire a modification action lawyer, you expect them to handle your case with expert knowledge and professionalism. That’s exactly what you’ll get with the team at The Law Office of Young, Kuhl & Frick, LLC; we’re known for demonstrating amiability in the Kansas City Legal Community. 

Mediation Services

Our mediation services are an efficient and easier way to solve issues that relate to family law, including modification actions, divorce, and property issues. The Law Office of Young, Kuhl & Frick, LLC provides mediation services in our office and, on rare occasions, where we travel for the benefit of all involved.

Other Family Law Services

The Law Office of Young, Kuhl & Frick, LLC is dedicated to family law, offering many services. We provide virtually all services that pertain to family law, including, but limited to, the following:

Contact Our Family Law Firm

Are you considering modifying your current parenting plan or custody agreement? Or are you currently in the process and looking for a family law lawyer in Kansas City to assist with your case? Contact us to reach out and inquire about our services. We look forward to hearing from you!